Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Teaching With Intention... PART 2

I just finished the book and all I can think about is how I wish someone would have handed me this book in Undergrad or when I was hired. In my opinion this is the easiest book to follow. It clearly, but in a pleasant way that only Deb can, gives the message that without firm beliefs our teaching is meaningless. She never comes out and says it, but through her stories and comments the reader can see that the learning that CAN take place (once you get your beliefs in order) is REMARKABLE!

Her constant theme: keep it simple, is fantastic. Often I try and try to explain how easy it is to do a Reading Workshop, but the nay sayers never believe me. Debbie reassured me that I am not crazy and that I am on the right track.

Most of all I find great comfort knowing that Debbie wasn't always this good! She used to teach "from the teacher's manual" AND her students were kept busy by worksheets and literacy centers. When I look back on the days I followed the BASAL, had no beliefs, and was just collecting my paycheck, I feel sick and sad that I didn't do more for those students. When people ask me how long I've been teaching I always say, "Well I've been a teacher for 5 years, but I've been truly teaching for 2". Often people look stunned and confused, but in my heart of hearts I know that those 3 years were not teaching. I was "getting by", and so were my kids. We didn't talk about our thinking, we were too busy "doing" worksheets and "doing" guided reading (based on ability only of course). I didn't know what a reading conference was or who Debbie Miller was. But I am thankful everyday I found her and countless other mentors; Collins, Calkins, Taberski and Keene. Not to mention my mentors close to home: Theron, Tim, Aliscia, Jen & Steph

I surround myself with teachers, administrators and authors who keep me motivated to be the best I can for my students.

I leave you with a quote from Miller that keeps ringing in my head, and will be my mantra for this year and the years to come. While admitting to her past teaching practices she talks of two voices: the one that tells you to keep up with the curriculum and "get through it" and the one that tells you to listen to your heart,

"When we consciously and consistantly CHOOSE to listen to the voice that serves children best, that other voice becomes more and more distant and less and less insistant, and we began to wonder why we ever gave it the time of day"

So True Deb, so true.

No comments: